Your driver’s license is an important document that allows you to drive a motor vehicle in the Philippines. If your license is expiring soon, it’s important to renew it as soon as possible. The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has extended the validity of driver’s licenses expiring on April 24, 2023 onwards to October 31, 2023. However, it’s still a good idea to renew your driver’s license early to avoid long lines and hassle.
- Gather the necessary requirements. You will need to bring the following requirements to the LTO:
- Original driver’s license. Please bring your original copy.
- Medical certificate. Prepare around P500. You will be subjected to physical body check-up including some eye tests, blood pressure and physical exam.
- Application form (available at the LTO office). Approach the Assistance desk or guard-on-duty for free application forms.
- Payment of the renewal fee (Php 589 for both pro and non-pro license renewal)
- Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) certificate
- For the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) certificate. You must:
- Create an account at https://portal.lto.gov.ph/ords/f?p=PUBLIC_PORTAL:ONLINE_VALIDATION_EXAM
- Make sure to input valid email. You will need to click a validation link after.
- Log-in and take the exam. You can Google the lectures online before taking the exam.
- Get a passing score (20 out of 25). You can try and try until you pass — no limit.
- Download and print your certificate.
- Tip: If you are not techie, you can approach assistance in various vendors around, or those offering printing services. I heard, even LTO personnel gives guidance
- Submit the documents.
- Typically, you will need to fall in line, upto Window 1 who will verify your documents,
- Then pay at the cashier, usually it’s P589 if no late fees or other charges
- After paying, your picture will be taken and then biometrics and signature (if needs updating)
- Wait for releasing. I hope by the time you are reading this, they already fixed the shortage of ID cards. If you have no violation, you will receive a 10-year validity driver’s license.
Here are other tips for renewing your driver’s license:
- Renew your driver’s license early. The LTO office may be crowded, especially during peak hours. I do this weeks before my birthday.
- Bring all the necessary requirements. This will help you avoid delays.
- Go on Wednesday to Friday. These days usually offer shorter qeue.
- Take the exam at home and print it. Less hassle than cramming at the office.
How about ISSUANCE OF DRIVER LICENSES WITH 10 YEAR VALIDITY?
LTO will begin implementing the provision of Republic Act (RA) 10930 regarding Driver’s License renewal. In accordance with RA 10930, which mandates extending the validity of Driver’s License. All clients must go through Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) in order to receive their CDE Certificate.
I hope this blog helps you renew your driver’s license in the Philippines in 2023.